I Think what fascinates me with an antiques
is, there is always a story behind it. When you don’t know what that story is but
you see the wear and tear, you know there was a journey. You start to add up the clues of how it got
to the state its in. You start to wonder what it’s seen, what
it’s heard, what its done. I had a choice of a rather clean, almost mint,
moving fillister plane and this one. I made the choice because of the character
this one had. I saw that it was damaged but I also recognized
that it was repaired more than a couple times. I’m sure it was never the best moving fillister
plane but whoever owned it sure did all they could to keep it usable. My goal is not just to have a usable plane
but also help it continue its story. The fence has a crack in the middle which
the previous owner screwed tight from the side. I’m 100% sure that the depth stop is also
a fix for what was probably a brass one. The adjustment screw and carriage block were
both removed with very little effort. The boxing is broken in a few spots where
it was glued back in place. With a broken wedge, the knicker proved the
hardest part to remove. I used a reversed nail head on the blade,
to tap it through. There’s a tiny screw in the boxing just
at the side of the mouth. The wood is so stripped it isn’t holding
anything anymore. I couldn’t even back it out without wedging
it. The metal was cleaned with a vinegar /water
mixture for about 8 hours. The wood was cleaned a few times with mineral
turps (mineral spirits) . I didn’t want to lose the patina so I only planed what was
needed on the base and fence. I re-finished it with about 4 coats of boiled
linseed oil. Left on for 15 minutes each and than wiped
off. The camera I’m using takes forever to charge
so I made the wedge off camera. I used a small nail and slowly filled the
hole walls in with epoxy so the threads would again have something to bite on to. I also forced some epoxy into the crack on
the fence though this probably wasn’t needed as the screw was doing it’s job well. Also, My clamping forced the fence crooked
so I would need to plane it’s surfaces a couple more times. You know the old saying, ‘Don’t fix what
isn’t broken, when its already been fixed because it was broken.’ Something like that. I rounded out the corners of the rear of the
depth stop since it was now digging into the side face. Lightly tapping the blades will partially
correct the bending that has happened from the years of resetting them. I had not run across any knickers being sharpened
like this one had. I began to reshape it into the diamond shape
I wanted. I’m not sure this is a great idea but I’m
doing it anyways. Even though the blade angle was really steep
and the skew was off. I went ahead and sharpened it as it was. I should have reshaped the edge correctly,
as I would eventually have come back to correct this issue. I needed to slow down here but I was getting
so close that I just wanted to try it! It was set a huge bite but still, it was much
closer to square than I thought it would be. Now its time to continue it’s story and
hopefully that story will be passed on this time. And to figure out a decent dogging system
for this bench. There will be more detailed photos on my blog
over at cleanphilwanted.com. Thanks for watching Subscribe like and comment!